Instructor: Sarah Rehmer
Date: Oct 5-7, 2018
Location: Studio Joy, 610 E 30th, Kansas City MO
Full Workshop Fee: $400
Supply fee: $70 (to be collected at the workshop)
Level: Beginner – Intermediate
Maximum: 10 students
This workshop will focus on combining photography with encaustic painting techniques as an alternative way to present your photographically based works and give them a more painterly look and tactile feel. Over the course of the workshop will explore different paper printing options for our photographs- from fine art papers, Asian paper and anything in between. From there we will take our photographic prints and embed them in the encaustic wax medium, which will allow us to over paint them, apply image transfers, color glazes and hand coloring techniques. Basics of working with encaustic paint, studio set up, safety measures and more will all be covered in the workshop. You do not need prior experience working with encaustic paint, but general art making experience and understanding of digital photography work-flow will be helpful. The instructor will supply paint and medium plus all equipment and brushes needed for use during the workshop, as well as all printing equipment and paper.
- 5-8 small panels, no larger than 12×12” that are cradled. I recommend the Ampersand Encausticbords or plain wooden panels, but they must be cradled by at least 7/8”. You may also wish to buy a few extra small cradled panels to create various height surfaces to your work.
- Jump drive (USB Flash drive) with your images- no more than 12 to choose from, should be sized 12×12 or larger at 300 dpi
- Drawings and other papers you wish to incorporate into the work
- 1 roll of blue shop towels or Viva paper towels
- 1 roll of 1” or wider blue painters tape
- Found objects, especially wooden or rusted metal objects, old books, fabric, pressed and dried plant material, and other items you might want to work with.
- Mark-making tools of various sorts. Do not buy any, I will have some to share and try.
- Brushes, if you have them. I will have some to share and try.
- Sketchbook and pencil for note taking/sketching ideas
- Apron or smock
- X-Acto knife with #11 blades
- Straight edge
- Self-healing cutting mat
Fabulous restaurants are within walking distance or bring a sack lunch. A refrigerator and microwave are available.
Notice: Janus the studio cat frequents Studio Joy and while she will not be joining our workshop, please bring any allergy medication if you may need it.
Student Cancellation Policy:
Students will receive a full refund of tuition less payment processing fees if a request to withdraw is received by Studio Joy no later than 7 days prior to the first day of the workshop. Request to withdraw from a course less than 7 days prior to the first class session will not be eligible for refunds.