Yep, I’m a copycat, a very unintentional copycat, but one none the less. Kecia Deveney recently contacted me concerned that my Patina Your Porcelain soldering class looked and sounded very close to the Artfest class she taught this past April. Initially shocked by this thought, I stood back from my emotions for enough time to see that it would appear that way. I must say that Kecia was not accusing or malicious and I honor her for confronting me.
Because I have no desire to copy another person’s work, or even have the appearance of doing so, I am changing the class to Soldering in the Round. We’ll be soldering some gorgeous handmade glass discs that I found at Moon Marble, along with small colored glass gems.
This conflict gave me perspective. Lessons learned:
- Always honor the work of the one who taught the skill if at all possible. Kecia was an excellent instructor and I was dishonoring her by not even thinking of her gift to me as I put this class together.
- Although I have been teaching soldering for some time, I must always be careful that my classes do not appear to copy another’s work. If I am not creative enough to think of a new approach, the class should not be taught.
- When approached graciously and honestly as Kecia approached me, my reaction is to look at the other person’s perspective. When attacked personally, my reaction is to defend myself. I need to learn to look at the other person’s perspective even when attacked. This will be difficult, but I desire to grow in this area.
Wise words from my favorite book can be applied here:
- 1Thessalonians 5:22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.
- Proverbs 15:1 A soft answer turns away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.
- Ecclesiates 1:9 The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.
I apologize, Kecia, for inadvertently copying your class. Please forgive me and also for any drama I may have introduced into your life. Thank you for confronting me about this.
For those of you looking forward to Patina Your Porcelain, the class changes will be posted shortly. If you are no longer interested, I completely understand.button