Choosing a word as a theme for the coming year has become a tradition for me. I have found that for each word chosen, the year has unfolded with a deep tie to it’s meaning. This past week I have been rolling around ideas, but the word, HONOR, envelops all the other choices.
Honor (verb): to regard or treat (someone) with admiration and respect : to regard or treat with honor
My journey the last few years has brought me to freedom. I feel God gave me a time of rest and showed me who He made me to be. This path has been very self focused, but necessary. But now I sense a shift. Solid in who I am, it is now time for me to become very intentional in honoring my Creator. The most awesome result from honoring God is that everyone is positively affected by it. God is just cool like that.
- Honor my husband, my children, my mother and father, and in-laws by planned and impulsive acts of love and respect.
- Honor all those I come in contact with by kindness no matter their own behavior and not based on their accomplishments.
- Honor God by being my true self, by worshiping creatively, and by listening for His direction.
- Honor my body which is the temple of the Holy Spirit by right eating, exercise and proper rest.
- My mouth will need to blab less and my ear engage more so that I can sense the needs of others.
- I will have to stretch myself in thinking of tangible ways to honor others. Action is key.
- Self-discipline and go-with-the-flow will have to meet up and make friends.
- Intentional communication with God is essential. I must view studio time, Bible reading, and prayer as priorities so that I hear my Father above the din of life.
Wow, writing this out makes it sound like work, but really I’ve already been haphazardly living this way. Choosing the word, HONOR, just brings a greater focus on what has already been knocking on the door of my heart. And I must share a link to an awesome sermon about honor given this fall at my church: Graceway 110611 by Jeff Cox. Yes, it was influential in my thinking.
What is your word for 2012? Please share a link in the comments if you have blogged about it. I want to know.